Fishing Returns On Boats In Montauk

first_imgCharter boats were back on the water and back in business as of May 27, and captains in Montauk say the fishing is good. Mike Vegessi, captain and owner of Lazybones, has been going out for 37 years. He said May 29, “The feeling of fishing with everyone with a mask on is almost eerie. I can’t read your expression. Are you smiling? It’s a different feeling when we go out.” Still, people are excited to get back out on the water and fish. The deck of the Lazybones, a 55-foot Bruno & Stillman, has been marked for social distancing. Vegessi had to cut back on the number of passengers he can take out — from 40 to 16 — due to the COVID-19-related restrictions. “I got my arrows. I got my sanitizer. I got my marks,” he said. “I got my temperature gauge — all that good stuff.” Lazybones didn’t go out on May 29 due to weather conditions, but Vegessi said the boat left the dock the day prior. “There’s lots of striped bass and there is bluefish around. But we target fluke,” he said. “We caught some big ones. We caught an eight-pounder, a six-pounder, a four-pounder.” He said passengers just wanted to get out of the house, or get on the boat and see friends again. “A lot of my customers, they come on the same day. The same trip,” Vegessi said. “They socialize and enjoy the interaction with other people, laugh and have fun. Enjoy the sunshine and fresh air,” adding, they left the “virus thing on land.” Captain Tom Cusimano owns the Sea Wife IV, a boat he’s had for 21 years. He’s been on boats since he was 12 years old. After returning to shore May 31, he said the striped bass had been plentiful, but many still undersized. “There’s a lot of fish around. A lot of bluefish,” he said. “The fishing’s been good — just waiting for another run of fish to come through. Maybe they are a little bigger.” He, too, keeps his passengers waiting, taking temperatures before letting anyone on his boat. He even fills out a COVID-19 log if tracing ends up being needed. “Everybody has to have a mask and gloves,” Cusimano said. “If they don’t have them, I supply them.” He also supplies hand sanitizer and watered-down bleach to cleanse with. One of the new rules? No high-fives when somebody catches a big fish. At the end of the day, the entire boat is sanitized. That includes the deck and cabin. Casimano is licensed to have up to 20 onboard at a time, but is now going out with groups of less than 10. Captain Mike Elling, captain and owner of charter fishing boat CUJO, a Bertram 46-footer, was ecstatic when he heard that charter boat industry had been moved up from one of the final phases of reopening under New York Governor Andrew Cuomo’s directive, to Phase 1. “Very surprised,” he said. “Very happy.” The captain has been fishing on a charter boat out of Montauk for about 20 years. He said calls for reservations are slowly picking up. “We had a lot of cancellations of course,” Elling said. “But I think everyone is going to come back. I’m looking forward to a good year, actually. It is going to turn around. It is going to be exciting. There is good fishing, as always.”t.e@indyeastend.com Sharelast_img read more

Norco opens new location in Orem

first_imgGet instant access to must-read content today!To access hundreds of features, subscribe today! At a time when the world is forced to go digital more than ever before just to stay connected, discover the in-depth content our subscribers receive every month by subscribing to gasworld.Don’t just stay connected, stay at the forefront – join gasworld and become a subscriber to access all of our must-read content online from just $270. Subscribelast_img

Drop the dead duck

first_imgGet your free guest access  SIGN UP TODAY Subscribe to Building today and you will benefit from:Unlimited access to all stories including expert analysis and comment from industry leadersOur league tables, cost models and economics dataOur online archive of over 10,000 articlesBuilding magazine digital editionsBuilding magazine print editionsPrinted/digital supplementsSubscribe now for unlimited access.View our subscription options and join our community To continue enjoying Building.co.uk, sign up for free guest accessExisting subscriber? LOGIN Subscribe now for unlimited access Stay at the forefront of thought leadership with news and analysis from award-winning journalists. Enjoy company features, CEO interviews, architectural reviews, technical project know-how and the latest innovations.Limited access to building.co.ukBreaking industry news as it happensBreaking, daily and weekly e-newsletterslast_img read more

5 minutes with… Lucy Howard, director, Turner & Townsend

first_imgStay at the forefront of thought leadership with news and analysis from award-winning journalists. Enjoy company features, CEO interviews, architectural reviews, technical project know-how and the latest innovations.Limited access to building.co.ukBreaking industry news as it happensBreaking, daily and weekly e-newsletters Get your free guest access  SIGN UP TODAY Subscribe to Building today and you will benefit from:Unlimited access to all stories including expert analysis and comment from industry leadersOur league tables, cost models and economics dataOur online archive of over 10,000 articlesBuilding magazine digital editionsBuilding magazine print editionsPrinted/digital supplementsSubscribe now for unlimited access.View our subscription options and join our community Subscribe now for unlimited access To continue enjoying Building.co.uk, sign up for free guest accessExisting subscriber? LOGINlast_img read more

HS2 and the Chinese connection

first_imgSubscribe now for unlimited access Get your free guest access  SIGN UP TODAY Subscribe to Building today and you will benefit from:Unlimited access to all stories including expert analysis and comment from industry leadersOur league tables, cost models and economics dataOur online archive of over 10,000 articlesBuilding magazine digital editionsBuilding magazine print editionsPrinted/digital supplementsSubscribe now for unlimited access.View our subscription options and join our community Stay at the forefront of thought leadership with news and analysis from award-winning journalists. Enjoy company features, CEO interviews, architectural reviews, technical project know-how and the latest innovations.Limited access to building.co.ukBreaking industry news as it happensBreaking, daily and weekly e-newsletters To continue enjoying Building.co.uk, sign up for free guest accessExisting subscriber? LOGINlast_img read more

Long Beach adds two

first_imgChristensen, who most recently served as deputy executive director of the Port of Los Angeles, has been appointed senior executive for supply chain optimisation at the Port of Long Beach. He will report directly to port chief executive Jon Slangerup.In his new role, he will be responsible for working collaboratively with industry stakeholders to find new ways to increase communication and cooperation among the links of the supply chain.Farren, ex-general manager at Hapag-Lloyd America, has been named as the port’s director of tenant services and operations – a new position created to emphasise the importance of relations with port tenants.He will begin his new role in March 2015 and will report to Noel Hacegaba, managing director of commercial operations and chief commercial officer at the port.  www.polb.comlast_img read more

Bring back the flavour of D6

first_imgMembers of the Cape Malay Choir, District Six Working Committee, Norton Rose Fulbright and the mayors office. It has been 53 years since District Six was declared an area for white people only under apartheid’s Group Areas Act.Former residents, their families and those who are helping claimants with the restitution process commemorated the date at the Castle of Good Hope on Monday, February 11. The District Six Working Committee (D6WC) chairperson Shahied Ajam said they would like to reignite the spirit of the past. “We will never be able to bring back the old District Six and we don’t intend to; we will bring back that flavour, bring back economic empowerment, social development, all of these will happen in a place called District Six,” said Mr Ajam.The day also marked the 29th anniversary of when Nelson Mandela was released from the Victor Verster Prison and made his first public appearance and speech at the balcony of City Hall in Darling Street. Among those in attendance on Monday were employees of legal firm Norton Rose Fulbright, which is helping the claimants, members of the SA First Forum, the Human Rights Commission, the provincial Department of Social Development and mayor Dan Plato.Mr Plato said he just wants the claimants to get their houses built and for them to return to their “precious” land.“It will never be possible to return those stolen decades, what we can work towards is that you and future generations can once again enjoy the space and sense of community that was once enjoyed,” said Mr Plato.Mr Plato said he would like to see national, provincial and local government as well as community organisations and representative bodies working together to resolve this issue. He offered office space in the City Hall to the D6WC and other entities so they could come together and work towards a solution to return the properties back to the residents.Mr Ajam said the D6WC is prepared to work closely with the mayor’s office to help with the restitution process. “It’s a wonderful gesture from the mayor. I think he meant it because when I was in his office last Friday, he said that he would like to call an indaba and wants us to use the City Hall so that we can get this thing done as quickly as possible,” said Mr Ajam.Social Development MEC, Albert Fritz, said he is a former resident of District Six himself. “We must force government to get this resolved so that our pain can get better,” said Mr Fritz. He said he works in Mitchell’s Plain, Manenberg and Hanover Park and he sees how the children get affected by gangsterism because that strong network of District Six has been taken away.There was a feeling of mixed emotions by claimants who attended the commemoration. Gava Wilkinson, 61, who lives with her family in Zonnebloem, says she is fed up with waiting so long for restitution. “From 1996 I lodged my papers. In 1998 I needed to fill it in again and we are still waiting, it is a very long time to wait,” said Ms Wilkinson. However, Yusuf Khan, 78, from Mitchell’s Plain, said he was optimistic about the progress made in the restitution process.Nicki van’t Riet, director of Norton Rose Fulbright, said the redevelopment of District Six is the only way to restore the dignity of claimants. “We are working to secure justice without further delay, with the aim of upholding your fundamental human rights, we are seeking justice for every one of you,” she said.Mr Ajam said this year’s commemoration was a defining moment for the District Six claimants after the D6WC won their High Court case against the Department of Rural Development and Land Reform (DRDLR) last November.“When the court ruled in our favour on November 26, and ordered the government to come up with a plan, I knew that victory was in sight,” he said.The High Court judge ordered the DRDLR to come back to the court in February with a clear plan for the redevelopment of District 6.Mr Ajam said the next High Court date is Tuesday February 26 and he feels justice will prevail.last_img read more

Brexit – lawyers’ leave group says free trade will thrive

first_imgA British exit from the EU would not imperil international trade deals, a group representing ‘vote leave’ lawyers said today.Lawyers for Britain said its research countered claims by the remain camp that Brexit would result in years of uncertainty while the UK renegotiated international trade agreements. ‘This is not supported by the facts or the evidence,’ the group said. According to the report, uncertainty over future trade with the EU could be resolved by the UK rejoining the European Free Trade Agreement (EFTA), of which it was a founder member.’We could apply to re-join with effect from the day after Brexit.’There is no reason why the four current EFTA countries would not welcome us back, given that the UK is one of EFTA’s largest export markets. EFTA membership would allow us to continue uninterrupted free trade relations with the four EFTA countries, and also to participate in EFTA’s promotion of free trade deals with non-member countries around the world.’Deals with countries outside the EU could be maintained simply by the UK continuing to apply the substantive terms of these agreements after exit, unless the counterparty state were actively to object. ‘We can see no rational reason why the counterparty states would object to this course since that would subject their existing export trade into the UK market, which is currenlty tariff-free, to new tariffs,’ the report says.’There will be no need for complicated renegotiation of these existing agreements as misleadingly claimed by pro-remain propagranda.’Meanwhile, the UK would be able to participate in new trade agreements with non EU members from the day after exit. ‘The process of negotiating new trade deals can be started during the two-year notice period leading up to Brexit, with a view to bringing them into force on or soon after the date of exit,’ the report states.  
Earlier this year rival group Lawyers in for Britain warned that a free trade agreement between the UK and the EU might take years to negotiate – and that deals with third countries would no longer apply.last_img read more

Brussels RER order won on seats

first_imgBELGIUM: On April 13 SNCB confirmed that it had awarded a contract for supply of 305 three-car EMUs over the next eight years; at € 1 425m it is the largest rolling stock order ever placed in Belgium. As we reported last month, SNCB has selected Siemens’ modular Desiro Mainline EMU as the basis for its future suburban fleet.As well as replacing the railway’s oldest two-car EMUs, the Desiros will provide a substantial increase in capacity to accommodate the projected 25% growth in passenger volumes between 2007 and 2012. The present SNCB fleet has a nominal capacity of 280 000 seats, of which more than one-third can be classed as ‘modern’ including the forthcoming refurbishment of the M5 double-deck cars. The current build of more M6 vehicles will add a further 20 000 seats. SNCB says the Desiro order will provide 85 400 seats, less 21 000 which will be lost through withdrawals. The railway’s goal is to bring its fleet capacity up to 365 000 seats.SNCB’s specification for the air-conditioned 160 km/h units called for a minimum of 180 seats in a maximum length of 80 m, a multifunctional area and the ability to serve platforms 280, 550 and 780 mm high. In weighing up the bids, 60% was allocated to the price per seat and 40% for other criteria such as comfort and design.The competition attracted four bidders. Alstom proposed its Coradia Lirex Continental, offering a 61·2 m three-car version with 192 seats or a 77·6 m four-car set with 248 seats. Bombardier’s bid was a four-car AGC derivative 72·8 m long with 205 seats, and CAF offered a 75·7 m Civia four-car set with 232 seats. All of these are articulated. Only Siemens offered a trainset formed of separate vehicles. By adding 3 m to each vehicle, to create a three-car unit 79·9 m long, Siemens was able to fit in 280 seats per set: 232 in second class and 32 in first, plus 16 folding seats in the multifunctional area. There was reportedly a 40% difference in price per seat between the first and last bidders. The order has been split into three main builds. First to arrive in 2011-12 will be 95 sets with 3 kV DC traction equipment for the Brussels RER, although the network is not due to be completed until 2016. These will be followed in 2012-14 by 95 dual-voltage sets with 25 kV 50 Hz capability for general use across the network. The final 115 sets arriving in 2014-16 will also be for general use, but only equipped for 3 kV operation. As a result, €480m of the cost will be met from the dedicated RER fund and the remaining €945m will come from SNCB’s general investment budget. Each Desiro ML will have all axles on the two driving cars motored, with eight 325 kW motors. Floor heights will be 800 mm and 1 075 mm, with a retractable step for use at stations with 280 mm high platforms. The total value works out at just under €4·7m per unit, €18 652 per m² or €15 117 per seat at 2008 prices.The first of the Desiro ML sets that Siemens is supplying to operate Trans­regio Mittelrheinbahn services between Köln, Koblenz, Bingen and Mainz is due to be unveiled at Innotrans 2008 in September.last_img read more

Female charged in Silver Lake drug bust

first_img 4362 Views   3 comments Share Share Tweet The firearms and drugs seized by police on 20 February 2016A female resident of Silver Lake has been charged in connection with the seizure of high powered firearms which were found in a public convenience in Silver Lake on 20 February 2016.Esther Belleau, who is the chairperson of the Silver Lake Development Committee, was charged by police on Wednesday 9 March 2016 for possession of ammunition, alleged cocaine, cannabis and a prohibited weapon.Police Public Relations Officer Sergeant Pelham Jno Baptiste reported to the media on Thursday 10 March 2016, that Bello was charged following the conclusion of police investigations.During an anti-drug operation in Silver Lake last month, the police recovered and seized 24 rounds of 40 caliber and 30 rounds of 9mm caliber ammunition, one Uzi sub machine gun, one AK 47 automatic rifle, two 9mm pistols, 2.135 kilograms of alleged cocaine with an approximate street value of EC$57, 000.00 and 2.43 kilograms of alleged cannabis weed with an approximate street value of EC$4800.00.Belleau was brought before the Roseau Magistrate’s Court on Thursday 10 March 2016, Jno Baptiste informed.Editor’s note: In response to comments questioning why this defendant’s name and photograph are displayed, members of the public should note that once a person has been charged with an offence, their names and photographs can be published by the media, except if the individual is charged with a sexual offence.This exception is contained in the Sexual Offences Act of 1998 hence the reason why the names and photographs of the individuals who were recently charged and granted bail in the sex scandal involving a minor were not published.The Sexual Offences Act, 1998, Act 1 of 1998 Section 38 (1) states as follows;-“After a person is charged with an offence under this Act, any matter that is likely to lead members of the public to identify a person as the complainant or as the accused in relation to that charge shall not be published in a written publication or be broadcast in Dominica. The Sexual Offences Act of 1998 also includes a fine of fifty thousand dollars and imprisonment for three years for a person who publishes or broadcasts any matter in contravention of subsection (1).Finally, please note that we are in no way, “hiding child molesters” or “protecting government ministers and supporters” but are guided by the law, specifically, the Sexual Offences Act of 1998.center_img Sharing is caring! Share LocalNews Female charged in Silver Lake drug bust by: Dominica Vibes News – March 10, 2016last_img read more