Iceblick – putting quality first

first_imgSubscribe Get instant access to must-read content today!To access hundreds of features, subscribe today! At a time when the world is forced to go digital more than ever before just to stay connected, discover the in-depth content our subscribers receive every month by subscribing to gasworld.Don’t just stay connected, stay at the forefront – join gasworld and become a subscriber to access all of our must-read content online from just $270.last_img

Statoil to Drill Norwegian Sea Well with Songa Trym Rig

first_imgThe Norwegian Petroleum Directorate has granted Statoil ASA a drilling permit for wellbore 6608/10-15 in the Norwegian Sea.Wellbore 6608/10-15 will be drilled from the Songa Trym semi-submersible drilling rig at position 66°05’20.8”N and 08°16’ 42.5”E, following the completion of the drilling of wildcat well 6507/3-10 for Statoil ASA in production licence 159 C.The drilling programme for wellbore 6608/10-15 concerns the drilling of a wildcat well in production licence 128. Statoil ASA is the operator with an ownership interest of 64 per cent. The other licensees are Petoro AS (24.5 per cent) and Eni Norge AS (11.5 per cent). The acreage in this licence consists of the blocks 6608/10 and 11.Production licence 128 was awarded on 28 February 1986 (Licensing round 10-B on the Norwegian shelf).[mappress] Press Release, August 12, 2013last_img read more

V164-8.0 MW Scoops Best Offshore Wind Turbine Award

first_imgPress release; Image: mhi-vestas MHI Vestas Offshore Wind’s flagship wind turbine, the V164-8.0 MW has won the gold medal for the best offshore machine in the Windpower Monthly Turbines of the year competition.Windpower Monthly technology editor Eize de Vries wrote that the V164-8.0 MW “combines a clever mix of state-of-the-art and innovative solutions in a largely evolutionary design and scaling process.”MHI Vestas Offshore Wind CTO Torben Hvid Larsen said it was positive that the turbine has been well received by the trade media.“We are very pleased to be granted the gold medal for offshore turbines by Windpower Monthly. This award further underlines the positive reception of the V164-8.0 MW by the market and follows on from our first commercial order and the granting of the provisional type certificate which we received in 2014.”last_img read more

Port of Oakland Posts Improved 1H Results

first_imgUS Port of Oakland recorded an increase in its total cargo volumes by six percent in the period between January and June this year, compared to the same period last year.The port’s terminals handled 1,152,608 TEUs in the first half of this year, compared to 1,087,417 TEUs in 2015.When looking at fully loaded containers, the port’s imports and exports have grown 10.1 percent compared to the first half of 2015.“These container statistics are encouraging in light of the current state of volatility within the global maritime industry,” Maritime Director John Driscoll said.When comparing loaded and total container volumes for the month of June 2016 versus June 2015, the data shows a 2.2 and 4.6 percent decline respectively. The decline in total TEUs was driven primarily by approximately 15 percent fewer export empty containers handled, according to the port authority.Furthermore, the decline in loaded TEUs in June 2016 versus June 2015 was driven by a modest decline in export volumes.Another major US West Coast port, the Port of Los Angeles, handled more cargo overall during the first six month of 2016 – 5.9 percent more when compared to 2015.However, year-to-year total volume at the Port of Long Beach was down 0.6 percent, compared to the first six months of 2015.last_img read more

Jan De Nul Makes Progress in Kingston, Jamaica

first_imgThe Kingston Harbor dredging program, undertaken by concessionaire Kingston Freeport Terminal Limited (KFTL), is progressing according to schedule, Jamaica Information Service (JIS) just announced.Being conducted under phase one of the Kingston Container Terminal (KCT) Expansion Scheme, the project involves deepening of the entry channel and reinforcing the quay at Port Bustamante to allow for access of larger vessels, which are passing through the region following the recent expansion of the Panama Canal.As recently reported, Sodraco SAS, subsidiary of Jan De Nul Group, is part of a consortium that has been made responsible for the expansion of the Port of Kingston.For the Kingston dredging program, Jan De Nul will mobilize 6 vessels; the cutter suction dredger Marco Polo with four accompanying split barges and the trailing suction hopper dredger Pedro Alvares Cabrál.“We are very pleased that once more we have gained the confidence to play an important role in the further development of this port,” commented recently Dominique Bombaert, Area Manager at Jan De Nul Group.It is expected that this capital expansion program will be completed by December 2018 at a cost of approximately $150 million, JIS said.[mappress mapid=”23652″]last_img read more

Wonders & blunders

first_imgStay at the forefront of thought leadership with news and analysis from award-winning journalists. Enjoy company features, CEO interviews, architectural reviews, technical project know-how and the latest innovations.Limited access to building.co.ukBreaking industry news as it happensBreaking, daily and weekly e-newsletters Get your free guest access  SIGN UP TODAY Subscribe now for unlimited access To continue enjoying Building.co.uk, sign up for free guest accessExisting subscriber? LOGIN Subscribe to Building today and you will benefit from:Unlimited access to all stories including expert analysis and comment from industry leadersOur league tables, cost models and economics dataOur online archive of over 10,000 articlesBuilding magazine digital editionsBuilding magazine print editionsPrinted/digital supplementsSubscribe now for unlimited access.View our subscription options and join our communitylast_img read more

Dozens injured in tornadoes across southern Louisiana

first_imgDozens injured in tornadoes across southern Louisiana Do you see a typo or an error? Let us know. NEW ORLEANS (AP) Brittany Ross remembers she was savoring the smell of her aunt’s simmering white beans when the storm that injured about 40 people in southeastern Louisiana hit.“The place started shaking, kind of twisting,” she said Tuesday as she stood amid the wreckage at a small trailer park in eastern New Orleans.The tornado, she said, lifted the trailer off the ground and slammed it down.Ross, 26, her aunt and two others crawled out of the wreckage amid flying debris – uninjured, but suddenly homeless.The tornadoes that struck Ross’ home and other parts of southeastern Louisiana destroyed homes and businesses, flipped cars and trucks, and left thousands without power, but no deaths were reported, Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards said.The governor took an aerial tour and made a disaster declaration before meeting with officials in New Orleans. The worst damage was in the same 9th Ward that was so heavily flooded in 2005’s Hurricane Katrina.Edwards, a Democrat, said he was heartbroken to see some of the same people suffering again, and promised that the state will provide the affected residents with the resources they need as quickly as possible.He said seven parishes were hit by tornadoes in an afternoon of tumultuous weather across southeastern Louisiana.The storm ripped apart homes, toppled a gas station canopy, snapped tall power poles and flipped a food truck upside-down. It left shards of metal hanging from trees, and trapped a truck driver as power lines wrapped around his cab.The wall of severe weather also delivered heavy rain and hail to Mississippi and Alabama.Artie Chaney said her granddaughter had just pulled up to the house from school.“(Hail) rocks were falling on the car, and I was looking out the side door and saw the clouds moving fast. I heard this sound. We looked up in the air and we could see debris in the distance and before we knew it, it was just barreling down on us,” Chaney recalled.“We ran in the house; the lights went out. We ran down the hallway to the middle bedroom and then we just heard glass shattering. We thought we weren’t gonna make it. It seemed like it lasted a long time. It was a horrible experience. We were just so grateful to God that nobody was hurt.”Chaney said, her voice breaking as she looked at the damage, “We went through all of Katrina, with no damage. I didn’t think I’d be starting over again.”The Baton Rouge area also got hit. Ascension Parish Sheriff’s spokeswoman Allison Hudson said three people suffered minor injuries and several homes and buildings were damaged in the historic part of Donaldsonville, about 20 miles southwest of the capital.In Killian, just east of Baton Rouge, the mayor said several houses were destroyed and several others damaged, but an elderly couple suffered the only injuries he knew of: one, a broken leg; the other, a broken arm.“How you manage to get blown completely across the street with cinderblocks flying and no worse than a couple broken limbs – apparently the good Lord was looking after them,” Mayor Craig McGehee said.An official at NASA’s Michoud facility in New Orleans said it suffered some structural damage but the deep-space equipment being built there does not appear to have been harmed.Steve Doering said the hardware and tooling used in the Orion and Space Launch System projects were not damaged, but Michoud will have to make a “significant effort” to cover everything up so any subsequent bad weather doesn’t affect it while the building’s roof and walls are repaired.Two Mississippi counties reported wind damage, but no injuries, from suspected tornadoes. Other areas of Mississippi saw heavy rain and hail from the storm system that spawned multiple tornadoes in Louisiana. Published: February 8, 2017 5:11 AM EST Updated: February 8, 2017 5:26 AM EST center_img SHARE Author: AP last_img read more

Society advice on barristers’ VHCC protest

first_imgFirms should treat the withdrawal of barristers from very high cost cases (VHCCs) in protest over fee cuts like any other change of legal team, the Law Society has today advised.The advice to criminal solicitors was issued in preparation for the likelihood of many senior barristers not continuing with VHCC cases after fee changes implementing 30% cuts come in.The Society reminds firms that they have contractual duties to the Legal Aid Agency under the code of conduct where counsel ceases to act. ‘If such action leaves a firm without an advocate for a matter, firms should treat it like any other case where there is a change of legal team.’Solicitors are reminded of their duty to inform the Legal Aid Agency and of their duties to their client and to the court.Solicitor advocates must continue to act in accordance with their duties to the client and the court, but the Society says the unavailability of counsel does not create a contractual obligation on a solicitor-advocate to take over the barrister’s responsibility.The full advice is available here.last_img read more

Judge revives dishonesty defence after late discontinuance

first_imgThe High Court has directed that a fundamental dishonesty defence against a teenage RTA claimant should be determined after all.Insurer Alpha asked the court to reopen the issue of dishonesty after the discontinuance of the claim the day before trial in February. The defendant alleged that the second claimant, who was 13 at the time of the crash, was not actually a passenger in the car and his claim was fraudulent. The driver’s claim was thus ‘tainted’.#*#*Show Fullscreen*#*# Mark Roberts, instructed by Crawford Company Legal Services Ltd, appeared for Alpha. Simon Dawes, instructed by Mark Reynolds Solicitors, acted for the claimants. Mrs Justice YipHis Honour Judge Gregory refused to direct that issues arising out of the dishonesty claim be determined, but Alpha’s appeal against that ruling was allowed by Mrs Justice Yip following a one-day hearing last month.In Alpha Insurance A/S v Roche & Anor, Yip noted that where the matter was so close to trial ‘some explanation’ could reasonably be expected. New rules, it was added, concerning allegations of fundamental dishonesty had recognised a public interest in identifying false claims and in claimants meeting costs of litigation. ‘The provision has been introduced expressly to allow issues of fundamental dishonesty to be determined after discontinuance,’ she added.Gregory had found nothing in the litigation with any ‘exceptional quality’ which caused him to give further directions and set aside further court time.But Alpha argued that he failed to give weight to the public interest in maintaining the integrity of the legal system and exposing dishonest claimants.Mrs Justice Yip said the judge had applied the wrong test and she should exercise her discretion afresh. The correct approach, she said, was to regard directions under civil procedure rules as ‘unfettered’, requiring the weighing of all relevant considerations in accordance with the overriding objective.She acknowledged the suggestion that the threshold of ‘exceptional’ circumstances appeared to have been introduced by counsel for the claimants and the judge ‘may therefore have been misled’.She stressed that the defendant’s case may well not succeed, and that the late discontinuance may be explained before the court, but ruled that the issues relating to fundamental dishonesty must be determined.last_img read more

South Africa should consider zero-based budgeting, finance minister says

first_imgSouth Africa Rastafarians South African Finance Minister Tito Mboweni speaks during his budget speech at Parliament in Cape Town, South Africa, October 30, 2019. REUTERS/Sumaya Hisham South African Finance Minister Tito Mboweni speaks during his budget speech at Parliament in Cape Town, South Africa, October 30, 2019. REUTERS/Sumaya HishamSouth Africa should think about moving to a zero-based budget, the finance minister, Tito Mboweni said on Friday, ahead of an emergency budget dealing with the economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.Mboweni is expected to unveil a major shake-up in spending and revenue forecasts for the recession-hit economy when he tables a supplementary budget penciled in for June 24.“We have to adapt to the new situation. A new situation in my view requires that we think seriously about going to zero-based budgeting,” Mboweni said during a debate on the 2020 budget appropriation bill, which was passed.Under zero-based budgeting, all expenses must be justified for each new period. Currently, the National Treasury provides budget forecasts for up to three years ahead.Mboweni said the new approach would allow the government to refocus attention on growth-enhancing initiatives and that it could “no longer take for granted that the baseline that was there last year will always be the case”Africa’s most industrialised economy was in bad shape before the COVID-19 pandemic struck.A strict nationwide lockdown from late March severely curtailed production across key sectors like mining and retail, with the central bank predicting a gross domestic product contraction of 7% this year.Related South Africa budget expectationscenter_img South Africa Elections Coveragelast_img read more